Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BBC OWLS ride/"Brick"

Time: 2:01:58

Distance: 27.904 miles

Average Speed: 13.7 mph

Max Speed: 38.4 mph

Calories Burned: 970.4

Fat Burned: 109.4

The BBC OWLS group has split into two groups: the original OWLS and the FOWLS, which are the fast OWLS. I rode with the original OWLS group tonight. We did the Up Harmony route.

Not really a lot to say. Not a very hilly ride, especially by Bloomington standards. Even the tough hill of the night wasn't bad. Although apparently a train derailed recently (I heard someone say about six weeks ago, but I hadn't heard anything about it) and we went by the crash. That was a crazy thing to see. The road had been torn up and there were a few twisted up train cars still there. Keep an eye on the BBC Blog for pictures.

I felt really strong today. I was at the front of the group and actually would have liked to be going faster most of the ride. At one point John caught up to me and said, "What are you doing all the way up here?" and then we talked about how I was kicking ass. There were some Little 500 riders in front of me and I even told them they could kick it up a notch. I don't like to lead due to my propensity to take the scenic route. The last thing I want to do is lead 16 other people the wrong way.

Anyway, I think the reason I felt so strong is because I had a Gu before I left work. The TriBerry flavor is the best I've had so far. And I didn't have any crampiness, so maybe that's a running thing.

Speaking of running, I attempted to run 3 miles after I got home from my bike ride. I changed clothes and scarfed down four Honey Stinger energy chews (Pink Lemonade flavor; holy cow they are delicious) and fed the dog. I think I should have eaten on the bike and taken some Tylenol in my little "transition" period. I say attempted because I think I walked more than half of it. The balls of my feet were hurting (I think from wearing my Chuck Taylors at work today) and my stomach was growling. And I had some crampiness, but it's been there all day and is completely unrelated to running and might could have been quieted with Tylenol, had I thought to take some.

So I had a good day on the bike (maybe I should check out the FOWLS?), but totally sucked on the run. Funny how that works. But, really, I'm just happy that I can bike and run. Not everyone is so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment