Saturday, October 22, 2011

Long Run Report

So you may have noticed that I decided not to do the Hoosier Half Marathon and instead signed up for the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon. I just couldn't figure out if the Hoosier Half got cancelled or what. Registration never opened and it was getting too close. I didn't want to do all the training for nothing, so I signed up for the Indy Monumental, which is two weeks earlier and only two weeks away. This actually works out according to the training plan I've been following, but I'm a little freaked out not to have that two week buffer period I had built in. The idea of only training up to ten miles for a half marathon is scary. But at this point, I'm just going to have to trust that Hal Higdon knows what he's talking about. :)

So today I ran nine miles. It was painful. But I learned some important lessons. Like don't drink Mike's Hard Lemonade the night before a long run and always carry chapstick with you. I think I must be a little dehydrated, even though I've been trying to make a conscious effort to drink a lot of water. I guess with the changing seasons and the drier air and the Mike's, the amount I've been drinking just still isn't enough. I also learned that running on Kirkwood on a Saturday is a bad idea. Too crowded. I also learned that while my Smartwool compression socks are awesome, I don't really like to actually run in them. Too hot. I'll stick to using them for recovery.

Anyway, even though it was painful (especially after mile 6), it was a nice run. The sororities and fraternities were having some sort of bicycle time trial event, I'm assuming something related to Little 500. A car full of guys (probably undergrads, which, let's face it, I'm too old (and married) for) honked at me. It was a little flattering. At least I hope so. I wore my ipod the whole time, so who knows if they honked to tell me I'm too slow. I'm sticking with the flattering option. I saw my friend Aulaire walking her dog Juno. I stopped to pet the puppy and talk for a minute.

So I ended up running 8.85 miles at a 10:35 min/mile average. Not too bad considering how much my butt and hamstrings hurt (after mile 6 or so). I refueled with chocolate milk and showered and Seth and I headed to Indiana Running Company where I got a shiny new foam roller. I just got finished using it. It. is. AWESOME. I am in love. In a hurts so good kind of way. Oh baby.

Here is the link to my Garmin info. Untitled by jamadren at Garmin Connect - Details I used autopause, but I'm unsure I like it.

And just for photo evidence of how painful and gross this run was:

No, my eyebrows aren't the gross part.

When I came in, Seth asked if I was wearing sunscreen. Confused, I said no. And then he says, "Oh. OH! Is that salt?"

So, yeah, no drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade the day before a run, no matter how crappy the data you get at work is! Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment