Tuesday, January 10, 2012


This morning was rough.

 Seth kept me up way past my bedtime last night and my bed was just so toasty and comfortable this morning. I didn't want to get up. I woke up starving and the first thing I did was spill chia seeds all over the kitchen. Then Seth ran over a cat on the way to work. Seriously. I was in a bad mood.

Also, Stage 2 of NROLFW yesterday really killed me. (Although I really think it has more to do with essentially taking three weeks off...). I did some of Yoga X (the yoga portion of P90X) last night to help stretch out my poor muscles. I did the first 30-ish minutes (a lot of downward dogs and warrior poses) then skipped the balance and most of the core work (I did a little of the core work... it was hard!) to get to the cool down. Yay corpse pose! I think Yoga X may be a little much for my planned Friday afternoon yoga, but I did feel better after doing it and even worked up a sweat. And I got the dog working out with me! She is very good at down dog! (i.e. She laid on the floor beside me.)

Anyway, I somewhat randomly signed up for the IU Mini Marathon on a whim. About ten minutes before we left for NC in December, the local running company posted a coupon for $15 off the registration as one of their 12 Days of Christmas specials. I was considering running the Carmel Marathon, so I checked my marathon training plan and saw that the day of the IU Mini was the 20-mile day on my plan. So I signed up for it and figured I'd either do it and run home for my 20 mile training run, or chicken out of the marathon and just do the half. Win/Win!

So I didn't run nearly as much as I wanted over Christmas (caught a cold and too much family to visit!) and I was a little scared that I was taking on too much too soon. So I've decided to just do the half and save the marathon for after my 70.3. Today I restarted the half marathon training using the same plan I used for the first one.

I ran on the treadmill this morning. I have got to stop doing that. It is hotter than Hades in the HPER on the treadmill. Also, my ipod died. And I've been too busy playing Angry Birds and beating my husband at Scrabble to put music on my iPhone. The plan called for a three mile run, but just moving was a little difficult, so I did a run/walk routine. I walked one lap (0.25 miles) then ran a lap, until I got to 2.75 miles. Not the best, but I'll take it.

And, to make a point on this all-over-the-place post, I feel much better now. Still sore, but not as stiff, and in a much better mood. I need to remember that when I don't want to get out of bed at the ungodly hour of 5:15. Going to the gym makes you feel better.

EDIT (1:38 pm):  Today keeps getting better! We submitted a paper, of which I am the first author, for publication in the Journal of Virology and it was accepted today! I'm a soon-to-be published scientist! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment