Monday, January 16, 2012

First Swim Lesson

I had my first swim lesson tonight. It went well!

I wasn't sure if I should sign up for Level 2 or Level 3, so I erred on the side of caution and signed up for Level 2. They said if it was too easy, I could move up during the series.

I got there way too early and sat around like a dork in my bathing suit. Eventually 5:45 rolled around and we divided into our classes and got in the pool. Holy cold water! I was shivering pretty quickly. We did some really basic stuff. A few strokes each of freestyle, backstroke, and breast stroke so the instructor could gauge our skills. Then we spent some time working on breathing and kicking and freestyle arm technique. We didn't do a lot of actual swimming, but I feel like I did learn some things. At the end of the class, the teacher talked to each of us individually to tell us what he thought. He said I did really well and was borderline between Level 2 and Level 3. Yay for having a realistic idea of my own skills! He also said I have a really good kick. Which is good, because I'm mostly concerned with figuring out what my arms should be doing. :) I told him my goals and that I had signed up for a half Ironman, and he said that he can give slightly tailored instructions to each of us to meet our goals. So I think I'll stick with Level 2 and then if I feel like I need, I can do Level 3 as well.

I'm looking forward to becoming a swimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment