Friday, May 18, 2012

Bike to Work Day

And some other stuff too.

Ran yesterday morning. The track was closed (even though it's open at 6:30 every day that I swim...) so I just ran around the block that surrounds the track and tennis courts and HPER parking lot. Only one gradual barely a hill, so it's not too bad. Also it was chilly, which really works for me apparently. I did my 3.5 miles at a 10:21 min/mile pace.

I swam this morning. I was running late, so I had to skip the last 4 X 50 yards and only ended up with 1000 yards instead of the planned 1200. Also, I felt like I was swimming like a chicken. And I don't think chickens can swim. I felt like my elbows were everywhere and I had to share a lane, which always makes me worry I'm going to smack the other person, which makes me run into the lane divider at least once per length. Also, the girl I was sharing with was speedy, which just made my chicken dance feel stupid. But, it didn't slow me down too much. Which probably is just an indicator that I am not the greatest swimmer to begin with...

Anyway, as the title of the post says, today was Bike to Work Day. I intended to bike in, but I had a weird dream (I'm not sure I can say hello to my neighbors anymore. Their dream versions were scary.) and slept later than planned. Also, it was still dark and like 40*F outside when I would have had to leave to make it to the pool (which I still didn't do on time). But I did take my bike and rode it home. First commute of the year! Yay!

Except that Bloomington has gone nuts with the construction this summer and it turns out I can't go my normal route. Which I learned the hard way when I suddenly reached an impassable point. So I turned around and made something up, which involved riding on a section of Rockport Rd I'd really rather not ride on. And for good reason, because a giant SUV almost killed me. I'm not sure why he couldn't wait an extra five seconds for the car in the other lane to go by before attempting to pass me (while I was going 22 mph in a 30 mph zone, mind you). Anyway, it was a little scary, but I'm glad I rode my bike home. I'm going to try to keep it up, but I think I'll have to find an alternate route until that business on Tapp Rd is cleared up.

Commute:
6.6 miles at 10.7 mph average
(iPhone measurement; no autopause)

No comments:

Post a Comment